Saturday, December 30, 2006

I like that old-time rock and roll

In Michigan, we're known for automobiles, the Great Lakes, fudge, Motown, cherries...and Bob Seger.

Bob's a born and bred Michigander, and a few weeks ago, he came out of retirement to do a tour to promote his first new album in, sheesh, at least a decade.

Now I'm not necessarily one for 60-year old rockers doing reunion/coming out of retirement tours, but...this is Bob Seger.

I've seen him in concert four times and tonight will be my fifth--and they were the best shows ever. It's good, old-fashioned rock-n-roll. Not heavy metal. Not '80s pop (which, don't get me wrong--you know I love it). Nothing with even a hint of rap in it. Just rock-n-roll.

Now, for my Music Man, it will be his first Seger concert.

Which is why I told him he had to take me. You just can't be a native Michigander who loves music who hasn't seen our rock and roller. I told him that's all I wanted for Christmas, and he came through (though we had to pay through the nose for the tickets, 'cause the five shows have been sold out for weeks).

It was, of course, Risky Business that propelled Seger to the mainstream. He was already playing to crowds of 76,000 people in Michigan in 1976--years before Cruise danced by in his tighty-whiteys.

And it was thanks to Bruce Springsteen that Bob Seger (hmmm...interesting that they both have the same initials, huh?) got this chance. The film-makers of Risky Business wanted a Bruce song, but he wasn't willing or able to release anything for the movie, so they took Seger's "Old Time Rock-n-Roll" for that famous scene.

And the rest is history.

So...I'm going to see a 61-year-old rocker try to bring down the house in his last Detroit concert tonight. I have no doubt he'll do it--the reviews have been great. He does a lot of his old songs--mostly old stuff.

Tunes like "Night Moves," "Still the Same," "Turn the Page," "Main Street," "We've Got Tonight," "Sunspot Baby," "Rock-n-Roll Never Forgets," and others.

What aging rocker/band would you pay too much money to see?

What's your favorite Seger song?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Omg. I'm so profoundly jealous you're seeing Seger tonight in concert. I'm a huge fan, and so is Charlie. We own the cd's and they're our road trip favorites

Turn the Page is the one I sing...LOUD...in the car. You can ask my husband, he'll confirm it *g*.

Charlie and I saw the Eagles a couple years ago...fabulous concert. And I'll still pay money to see the Stones and I don't care if they need canes to get on stage *g*

Saturday, December 30, 2006 10:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

The rockers I'd still see would be Robert Plant and John Fogerty; in fact, I've seen both of them recently...Plant last year and Fogerty this year...both put on AMAZING shows! Plant even sang some old Zep stuff...awesome!

Saturday, December 30, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi soliloquized...

Hi Colleen, great to "see" you! I hope you enjoy the concert. I have to say, "Old Time Rock and Roll" is my favorite. I've paid good money to see Gary Puckett in concert...he has a gorgeous voice and is a great entertainer. I'd love to see the Guess Who, or Tom Jones...yum.

Liz

Saturday, December 30, 2006 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger The Cosmic Kid soliloquized...

Ooh, my mom will be jealous! She wanted to go, but we got back from Florida today, so she passed on getting tickets. Seger is amazing! A huge influence on my music, especially growing up in the house I grew up in!

My family paid WAY to much to see the Who in 2002, but it was an amazing concert. Of course, we see Springsteen no matter what the cost. My mom paid $250+ for each of her Paul McCartney tickets (she went to both of his last two tours!). I would love to see The Who (again), Cheap Trick, and if the rumors end up being true...The Stooges. I've gotta see Iggy Pop onstage at least once!

There's too many to list!

Saturday, December 30, 2006 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Dev soliloquized...

Wow, it's hard to pick just one....Down on Main Street and Turn the Page are two of my favorites, but I don't think there is such a thing as a bad Bob Seger song.

Oh, and you'll never guess what book I picked up at the store today :-)

Sunday, December 31, 2006 1:23:00 AM  
Blogger Alyssa Goodnight soliloquized...

Hope you had fun, Colleen! Glad you got what you wanted for Christmas.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 6:14:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson soliloquized...

A couple of my good friends came up to Kansas City a month or so ago to catch Seger on his tour and they thought he was terrific. He is one of those artists who surprises you with how many songs that he did that you know but hadn't attributed to him. Saying 'Bob Seger' always conjurs up 'Old Time Rock and Roll'.

Monday, January 01, 2007 10:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?