Monday, December 18, 2006

Here We Come A-wassailing

Have you ever been caroling?

Some of my favorite winter memories revolve around those crispy cold nights with flashlights or candles, red noses and excited, chattering friends.

I've been officially caroling--and by this, I mean going from house to house at night--probably four or five times in my life. I think I've been a carollee once as well.

The first time I went, I was in eighth grade and I went with a bunch of friends from my class. We ended up at our teacher's house (she was expecting us), and she invited us in for an impromptu party.

Last year, I went with my daughter and her Girl Scout troop and froze my patootie off. But the girls had a blast.

One of the best times was when I went with my Music Man during our first Christmas together. We got together with a group of thespians we'd been doing a musical with, and, clutching our hot cider and hot chocolate (appropriately spiked, of course) we caroled through a neighborhood with beautiful, large old houses that must have been built in the early 1900s.

It was just cold enough that we didn't want to be out all night, and that the hot chocolate and schnapps-laced mulled cider felt great in our cold fingers, but not so cold that it was miserable.

It didn't snow, but it had snowed, so we had a white backdrop for our set. We thrashed through some bushes to get from where we parked into the lovely neighborhood with long, broad streets and front yards big enough to stand in without feeling crowded.

People were delighted to hear from us, and since many of the carolers in the group were musicians (we were doing a play, remember), we had some percussion and I think we might have even had a guitar in the mix.

I think caroling is a lost art. And based on that experience, with the obvious surprise and joy from the people we sang to, it's an art that should be resurrected. Such a simple pleasure, and so traditional!

Now our streets are lit up with a blaze of Christmas lights so we hardly would need candles or flashlights, which is a shame. But there's nothing like the sound of singing breaking in over the blaring TV or the family conversations, and a group of red-nosed, pink-cheeked singers wishing holiday cheer.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jana DeLeon soliloquized...

I've been carolling once but it's just not the same when you're wearing shorts and a t-shirt. :)

Monday, December 18, 2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson soliloquized...

It really is a lost art. We had carolers come by the house last year and it was really fun. I remember carolling every year as a kid and I always enjoyed it. I know I don't have time this year but will have to remember this next year as it would be really fun to get a group together and do this. It is this kind of entertainment, like sitting around a piano singing, getting together to play games, etc. that often falls by the wayside today and it is really some of the most enjoyable time you can spend with others. I am all for doing my part to revive these traditions of old.

Monday, December 18, 2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger dancechica soliloquized...

I've never been caroling--or a carollee--but I have seen it done a lot on TV! :-P Seems like you formed some good memories while out caroling, though, and that's always a good thing. :-D

Monday, December 18, 2006 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I've never been a caroller or a carollee. That's a bit sad, isn't it?

Monday, December 18, 2006 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Angela/SciFiChick soliloquized...

I love caroling at nursing homes. They appreciate it more than anyone else, and it shows on their faces.

Monday, December 18, 2006 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Sparky Duck soliloquized...

I will say carolling is a nice touch, if the carrolers can actually sing

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?