Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Cut, Pick off the Lot, or Assemble?

What do you do for your Christmas tree? (If you have one.)

We're definitely a cut-the-tree family. We go to a great tree farm (if you aren't aware, Michigan is the second or third highest producer of Christmas trees in the US) and make it a big production, usually the weekend before Christmas--which was, of course, just this last weekend.

The things I've learned about a good tree-farm experience?

1. You must be able to walk to the tree selection. It's no fun to wait for a wagon or cart to bring you out and then bring you back. It takes forever, and if it's cold....brrr! One year, we had to wait 45 minutes because they kept forgetting us!

2. They have to have hot chocolate available, either before or after (preferably both). Donuts are a bonus.

3. They have to provide saws. Sharp saws. (One year we brought our own saw and left it way out in the tree farm. We never saw it again and my Music Man has never let me forget that!)

4. They have to have a bathroom. (Please! With three kids, two of which are girls...you know what I'm saying.)

5. They have to have a variety of trees--heights, widths, and style. We have to get a short, fat one and we always get a blue spruce...at least, we always did until this year. This year we got a blue something else. It has long, soft needles (much easier on the hands when decorating).

6. They have to shake it for you, wrap it for you, and, the most important thing: they have to help you get it on your car!
after--or both--for the tree cutters. Donuts are a bonus.


PS. I'm guest blogging at the Writing Playground today...talking about my Cover Epiphany and also giving away a copy of The Rest Falls Away.

12 Comments:

Blogger Angela/SciFiChick soliloquized...

I'm definitely a pre-lit, easy-assembly tree person.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:02:00 AM  
Blogger Sparky Duck soliloquized...

I love fresh trees, except I am too freaky to have one. I worry about fires, and sap and everything. So for my own sanity, its the Target version and some good candles.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:48:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

I refuse to get an artificial tree! I just couldn't do it, unless we weren't going to be around for Christmas or something.

I love the smell of the trees, and we only have ours up for a short while.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Jana DeLeon soliloquized...

I'm with Angela on this one - prelight me and assemble me up! Please my cats make enough mess with an artificial tree and I'm not even going into my allergies.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Most years we've had an artificial tree :)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Growing up, we always went to tree farms to cut one. My mom stayed at home bringing decorations out of the attic while my dad carted my sister and I off in the truck. We sang carols the entire way to and from the farm at what I am sure was an obnoxious level, but my dad always appeared to be entertained. I enjoyed the experience so much every year that as a kid, I couldn't conceive of people NOT going out to cut trees.

Now that I'm older, I used an artificial tree. I'm single and live "alone", so the burden of getting a live tree, getting it home and set up and then disposing, seems like an awful lot. If I marry and have kids, it'll be back to live trees for me.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Zeus soliloquized...

I know I should probably not admit to knowing this, but while in college, my human pet helped some of her friends steal a tree from a Christmas tree farm. The unfortunate thing, however, was that they only had a hatch-back so when they got the tree back to the car, her friends made her sit with the tree in the backseat. She smelled of sap for three days, and the scratches she had all over her body were God's punishment for having done wrong.

I'm glad, though, to see that someone actually has morals and purchases the trees. Keep setting a good example for others, Colleen!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jill Monroe soliloquized...

This makes me pine (ha) for something real. But I've had artificial since the day I was born.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger Booklogged soliloquized...

We used to drive up the mountain and cut one. The tree permits were only $5 and it made for a fun outing. One year my husband said, "No more!" So bought an artificial tree. It is just not the same. I miss the smell, too.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:04:00 PM  
Blogger Trish Milburn soliloquized...

I spent the first 20 or so years of my life doing the cut down and drag a tree back to the house thing. Now it's a pull the tree box out of the attic thing. Much cleaner and I don't have to worry about watering it. :)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:18:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole soliloquized...

I've got a pre-lit, pathetic, artificial tree, but we're also in an apartment.

I really want to pick out a real one when we do get a house. Maybe next year! I want something big and fluffy. Well, as far as fluffiness in trees goes.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

I'm allergic to Christmas trees. My hands will swell up and decorate themselves with red bumps if I touch any variaety of real Christmas tree. And if it is too fragrant, I have difficulty breathing. (And I don't even have asthma.)

So I have to use pre-lit and assemble.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?