Thursday, November 30, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #12

Thirteen Opening Lines from Classic Novels
You Should Have Read by Now
(can you name the book?)

1. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man inpossession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."
Answer (highlight to see it): Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen


2.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness..."
Answer: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens


3. Tell me, O Muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide after he had sacked the famous town of Troy.
Answer: Homer's The Odyssey


4. "
A throng of bearded men, in sad-coloured garments and greysteeple-crowned hats, inter-mixed with women, some wearinghoods, and others bareheaded, was assembled in front of a woodenedifice, the door of which was heavily timbered with oak, andstudded with iron spikes."
Answer:
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (this is from chapter one, not the introduction)

5. "A surging, seething, murmuring crowd of beings that are human only in name, for to the eye and ear they seem naught but savage creatures, animated by vile passions and by the lust of vengeance and of hate."

Answer:
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy


6. "Tom!"
Answer:
Come on! You didn't have to check this one, did you? Really?
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
. You know who wrote it.


7. "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day."
Answer: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


8. "The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon."
Answer: The Lord of the Flies by William Golding

9. "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen."
Answer:
1984 by George Orwell

10. "On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though
in hesitation, towards K. Bridge."

Answer:
Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

11. "In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."
Answer:
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

12. "This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history."
Answer:
The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien

13. "The Salinas Valley is in Northern California."
Answer:
East of Eden by John Steinbeck


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

36 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

There's a scandalous number of these that I didn't know. I'm not good with the classics, I always felt put upon by HAVING to read them for class. I do have Pride and Prejudice (which I did recognize) in my TBR pile right now. :)

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Southern Girl soliloquized...

Yay me! I've read all of those except #5 and #13. :)

Great choices!

Happy TT!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 11:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I recognize #2 as A Tale of Two Cities. #12 must be a Lord of the Rings book. And #13 has to be a John Steinbeck book, maybe Grapes of Wrath or East of Eden.

A great list!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger The Cosmic Kid soliloquized...

GREAT list!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Alas, I did rather poorly. I need to read more classics. I also need to remember the ones I've read.

That was way cool how you could highlight to see the answers. I loved it.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Loved it. I got them all :). But then, I'm an English teacher, so I read most of them a few times a year!
What a great list. My TT is up as well!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I've read all but three of those. I didn't have to highlight to see the answers, though, so I couldn't really 'play'.

There was a podcast a while back called "Who Said," that was like your list. The host would read a quote from a novel and the listeners had to guess the book, author and character -- it was a lot of fun.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:07:00 AM  
Blogger Scribbit soliloquized...

I love it--love literature and love the way you did the highlight thing, I'll have to remember that one. I've read all but East of Eden, though I've read lots of other Steinbeck. Could only recognize the first five.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:13:00 AM  
Blogger Valtool soliloquized...

No Tom Clancy??!?! j/k

Ever read Lewis Grizzard?

Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Poor turnout as usual by me! Although I did like the ones of them I have read!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Oops...seems I missed out on #8, 10 & 13. And I was just at the library today! Next trip, I'll have to check out one of these 3...hmmm..maybe start with East of Eden. Great TT13, mine is up also.
Happy Thursday!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I only recognized 7, and of the ones I didn't recognize, I'd only read 2 of them. *sigh* Maybe I should read more classics.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

#5 is the only one i haven't read!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I knew a few, but a scant few. I'm sadly underread in the classics. I've never been much a fan of them, though I've begun reading more of them just so I can say this with more wind to back my sails. *laugh* Truth be told, I've found a few in the last year that I've begun this quest that I enjoy rather more than expected!

And gosh... who knew I'd stumble upon /another/ published author's blog through TT today! You're #2! I confess to never having read anything by you, but vampires... I'm hooked already.

Must. Buy. Books.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I haven't read these in ages. Makes me want to pick up Tom Sawyer and Pride & Prejudice again. Of course, after just having finished your book, I REALLY want to read Pride & Prejudice again *g*

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Kat soliloquized...

Yippy! I knew and have read all but #5! Great list! Happy TT!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I started out well but then crashed!! I only knew 4 -- how embarrassing!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I knew staggeringly few of those. Bad Gypsy!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I'm embarrassed to say I only knew two! #6: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and of course #12: Fellowship of the Ring :-)

Love the leave picture in the header...at first glance, I thought it was lips!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I don't know if I should be pleased with myself or not, I got ten out of the 13 right! Pats self on head. :-)

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

This was SOOOO much easier than your frustrating lyrics quizes :P

Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I knew Tom Sawyer. LOL

Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I've only actually read a couple off these. But I could guess what they were.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

I've read the opening pages of East of Eden several times. I think they're perfect.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Sadly, half of those were on my high school's banned list. Half of the ones I have read, I read on my own.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle soliloquized...

I've only read 4 of them (actually maybe 5 but one of them I'm debating on cause it was in high school LOL) but I still got a couple more than that of the quotes, who knows how.

Cool idea!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

So glad you decided to give the answers (very clever too!) There weren't too many of these I knew, even though I've read quite a few of them.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger Lori's Light Extemporanea soliloquized...

I've read all but #s 2 & 13.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 2:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I'm embarrassed to say I've only read a few of these. I loved Lord of the Flies in High School. I think I was the only one in my class who did.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle soliloquized...

I had to redo my link since it was linking to an old TT - sorry about that!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger Elisa soliloquized...

Fun list! I only recognized a couple.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 4:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Classics. I love them.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Woo hoo! I actually knew some of these.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:22:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson soliloquized...

Good books all! Number two is one of my favorite classics. I can't read #3 without thinking of Oh Brother, Where Art Thou. Such fun film.

Friday, December 01, 2006 1:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

This was a great list, though I admit I didn't know many--shame on me! lol. One of these days, I'm going to do a TT of my own. ;-)

Friday, December 01, 2006 1:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I knew several of the answers, mostly because they were required in school. I like to read a good book every now and then, when I have time. Right now I am at the preschool level...I have a 3 1/2 year old :)

Thursday, December 07, 2006 1:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?