Monday, November 27, 2006

"Frankly my dear..."

This is the time of year I always remember the first time I watched, and then, later, the first time I read, Gone With the Wind.

I don't remember how old I was when I first saw it--likely in middle school--but it was over Thanksgiving break, and I was immediately in love with Rhett, of course.

It wasn't until years later that I actually picked up the book to read--during my first week of college final exams (mid December), when I should have been studying. (Not the smartest move I've ever made.)

Fortunately, I passed all my classes (respectable As and Bs) and still managed to read the book in less than a week.

I'm thinking this might be the year I'll introduce my oldest daughter to the movie (she's ten) because she's fallen in love with Sense & Sensibility and Pride & Prejudice. (She's obviously her mother's daughter.)

I remember once when I was in college, a friend of mine watched the movie while it was on TV. She told me the next day that I reminded her of Scarlett. I'm still trying to figure out if that's a compliment or not....

Anyway, my favorite scenes are when Scarlett dresses up in the curtains and goes to visit Rhett in jail. He's just so suave and cool...and then it's a bit heart-breaking when he realizes Scarlett's not there because she cares about him, but because she wants something from him.

And I love the scene where he sweeps her up in his arms in that blood-red gown she's wearing, and carries her up the staircase. (And then the next morning where she looks like a cat that's been into the cream.)

Poor Rhett. Talk about the perfect reformed rake. The perfect character arc of selfishness and superficiality that culminates in "twu wuv," only to have it dashed away by the inimitable Scarlett.

So perfectly matched they were, yet Scarlett's character didn't grow along the same path as Rhett's. While he came to learn selflessness and deep, abiding love, she learned she could only rely on herself to get what she wanted.

One of the most romantic stories ever told, yet it doesn't have a happy ending. Or does it?

Do you think Scarlett ever got Rhett back?

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I vote for yes, but then I like happy endings :)

Monday, November 27, 2006 9:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Ok, confession time: I never watched the movie in it's entirety!

"Anyway, my favorite scenes are when Scarlett dresses up in the curtains and goes to visit Rhett in jail"

That reminds me of the Carol Burnett spoof on GWTW when she comes down the steps with the curtain rod still in! Loved that!

And of course she gets him back, for "tomorrow is another day" after all!

Monday, November 27, 2006 9:50:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Bonnie, but why? I'm with you on the happy ending, but why would Rhett come back? (I want to believe it too...)

Zeek: For shame!! Curl up with the bf and watch it! Rhett's not a memorable hero for nothing--he'll get your heart to beating faster.

And it's so funny you mention that Carol Burnett spoof...that's one of my clearest memories of her show...remember they sang "Burn Atlanta Down"?

Monday, November 27, 2006 9:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I think Scarlett missed the boat SO no happy ending I'm afraid. Rhett went looking for a blonde! ;-)

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

Rhett probably died before Scarlett realized she needed him.

How's that for Monday morning pessimism?

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Oh, how I love GWTW. My favorite movie ever. I just watched it again yesterday, too.

Yes, absolutely Scarlett got Rhett back. That is one determined woman. I hated the follow-up Scarlett, but at least it posits an interesting reunion.

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Alexandra, are you perchance a blonde? ;-)

Heather, I thought I was feeling sluggish and not-happy-to-be-back-in-the
-routine...sheesh! You gals are tough.

Gypsy, I never read or watched Scarlett. It doesn't count, as far as I'm concerned. And you watched it yesterday? Wow! How timely.

Monday, November 27, 2006 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Zeek ~ I thought about the same thing! I remember Carol Burnett walking down those stairs with the curtains. I loved that show.

Gypsy ~ I watched this yesterday, also!

As far as Scarlett and Rhett getting back together ~ God, I hope not.

Monday, November 27, 2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson soliloquized...

I really need to watch this again. I remember seeing it with my mom when I was a little kid but I barely remember anything about it.

Monday, November 27, 2006 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Avril Morris soliloquized...

When I first read the book, I was maybe 12. I turned the last page, not realizing it was the last...and the next page was blank. I immediately burst into tears. I really, really thought she'd get him back on paper, and that I'd get to read all about it.

Nope, Scarlett wasn't any good, even as a consolation prize.

But hell yeah, she absolutely got him back! She was growing like crazy. In fact, she had to get him back off-screen because she could only truly be with him once she realized she didn't need him. That she could do for herself, even in life's harshest moments, and that being with Rhett was something she wanted, not needed.

Monday, November 27, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I would agree with Catherine above me that yes, she got him back and for that same reason.

Monday, November 27, 2006 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Angela/SciFiChick soliloquized...

they definitely deserved each other. who else could put up with them?
i would hope that she grew up and begged him to come back. but then, that's because i hate movies that don't have happy endings.

Monday, November 27, 2006 3:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I have fond memories of The Carol Burnett show, Dev and Colleen. It was the one show we ALL loved- mom,dad, bro, sis and me, we all loved it. In fact, over T-Giving we were just talking about Tim Conway and how good he was on that show- remember the infamous dentist chair sketch?

Yep I remember the song and the way Harvey Gorman delivered Rhett's line at the end. HA! prescious memories!

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Zeek ~ Harvey could never hardly keep a straight face. The sketches were always funny, but I think I laughed more with Harvey than anything.

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:24:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

There must be Carol Burnett on DVD nowadays, huh? Might be a good gift idea!!

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:29:00 PM  
Blogger Kat soliloquized...

In my world there is always a happy ending. However, when I first saw that movie at age ten, I was really pissed about the daughter dying..I thought that they didn't deserve to be together. Now that I am...well at least older if not wiser I hope they could have helped each other mead their hearts and end up in each others arms.I'm such a dork.

Monday, November 27, 2006 5:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Colleen,
Okay as to the WHY....well at the end she realizes that she truly loves him. He leaves but you know he really loves her and so I think after she has the time to prove it, he'll come back. I think Rhett knows deep down there is nobody else for him.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?