Monday, October 30, 2006

Of baking cupcakes for a class Halloween party, and other tales of school-baking on a Monday moanin'

As I contemplate whether I want to actually bake the three dozen cupcakes my daughter volunteered me to bring to her Halloween party tomorrow--or to buy them and, while saving myself a good chunk of time would also expend a good chunk of cash--I am reminded of the story a friend of mine told me of a similar situation.

My dear friend was a busy, working, single mom with two kids, and her seven-year-old daughter asked her to make cookies (or she was otherwise volunteered to do so) for school one day. My friend--I'll call her Janet--didn't have the time or the desire to do so.

But what she did was, I thought, infinitely more creative than actually baking the cookies.

She bought a package of Oreos and laid them out on a cookie sheet in neat rows, spaced generously, and put it on top of the stove.

When her daughter came home, she saw the cookies on the cookie sheet and said, "Mom! Did you bake those Oreos?"

My dear, wise friend told her she had indeed, and so now Janet has gone down in history at her daughter's school as the only mom who knows how to make Oreos!

Clever, clever gal.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jana DeLeon soliloquized...

Too funny about your friend! (Of course, I've been knowing how to bake Oreos for years) :)

I say buy the cupcakes and spend the time writing another book. Unless of course, you actually like baking. Which I wouldn't understand in the least but would respect since you're my friend.

Monday, October 30, 2006 9:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Very, very clever.

Monday, October 30, 2006 9:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

you mean no one has come up with a way to make ready-to-bake cupcakes yet? i only make cookies that way anymore.. the break-apart ones.

Monday, October 30, 2006 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

"Unless of course, you actually like baking. Which I wouldn't understand in the least but would respect since you're my friend."

LOL!

I have to join DARA now!

Monday, October 30, 2006 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger Jana DeLeon soliloquized...

Heather - you live in/near Dallas???? You should TOTALLY join DARA. It's a fantastic group of ladies. Check out the website and see if you can attend the December Christmas breakfast.

Monday, October 30, 2006 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Well, heck! I want to join DARA now.

Colleen, who just got back from buying cupcakes.

Monday, October 30, 2006 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mailyn soliloquized...

LMAO! Sounds like something I would do. Except I don't even try and hide the fact I bought them. EVERYONE knows I suck at household stuff. :-P

Monday, October 30, 2006 2:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Well dammit, I want to join DARA too. I'm only uhhh...4 hours away *g*

Love the baked Oreos. I always store bought and blamed the day job. Oh, the shame....

Monday, October 30, 2006 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger dancechica soliloquized...

LMAO!!

You moms are clever; sneaky, but clever. :-P

And this post reminds me of when I was younger and use to "volunteer" mom/grandma to do stuff for me. LOL. In elementary school, it was bringing/baking stuff for parties; in high school it was taking people home after school activities --"Oh no, my mom sure won't mind driving you all the way across town when she just got off work!" LOL. You moms have hard work! :-P

Monday, October 30, 2006 3:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

My daughter told me of the party in her class at 9:15 pm on the night before. (Last night). Such a bad bad mommy I am. I gave her a bag of chex mix to bring. If I truly loved her I would have stayed up to midnight baking cupcakes like a good mom would.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?