Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I could have been a millionaire

Remember the dot-com rush?

Well, I had a great idea for an online business, and if I'd gotten my act together, I could probably have gotten funding, an IPO, ads during the SuperBowl...heck, I might be a millionaire(ess?) by now!

I would have called it OneShoe.com. (gosh, guess I'd better check to see if there is such a place, come to think of it...)

You know how you always lose socks in the Land of No Return? (Actually, I think I lose them under my bed--it's a black hole under there--but you get the idea.) All those single socks?

Well, I've had the same problems with shoes. It's happened where one of a pair would get chewed up by a new puppy (or an older dog), or something would happen to the shoe itself and it would be unrepairable...or I'd simply lose one (not because I was dancing barefoot on tables or anything crazy like that).

So I thought it would be cool to start a website for people to find the missing half of their pair of shoes. Someone else out there would have had to have bought a size seven of my favorite Dansko sandals, right? At some point in time? And chances are, they either got tired of them or lost one or danced barefoot on tables at a bar and somehow misplaced one of them...or whatever.

So in my dreams of virtual business-ownership, I thought it would be interesting to start a site--a dating site, if you will, for single shoes.

I know I would have paid for the shoe, plus shipping and handling, to replace half of a pair of my favorite shoes.

What about you?

Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Have you been drinking?

*g*

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Jaye Wells soliloquized...

I think Jaci called it.

Anyway, this reminds me of a company called Replacements. They have warehouses full of china patterns, so if you break a piece of your Grandma's wedding china you can go to this place to complete your set. They started by buying extra pieces at yard sales and stuff, and now they're huge.

Not sure I'd want someone else's shoe. Of course, I buy most of my shoes at Target so there's not much worth replacing. Now, if it was a Jimmy Choo, I might think otherwise.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

So...you're saying I wouldn't have been a millionaire???

Hmmph. Guess I'll stick to the day-job.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Janet soliloquized...

how about lost gloves? I lost one of my favorite red ones in Paris...

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Jana DeLeon soliloquized...

I think this is a hilarious idea. If you were writing chick lit, I'd tell you to do it on your website to gain traffic. I have a couple of shoes I could contribute myself.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Yay Jana! Blogger's letting you post again! Woohoo.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Angela/SciFiChick soliloquized...

My friend at work and I decided we need to start a website.. called longdistancedating.com.. or something to that affect. We both agree that we would like mates in california or flordia.. with the potential to move someplace warm. We figured it was a great idea.. connect people that want to date long distance. Most people want to stay in their area, but we'll convince them otherwise.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Sparky Duck soliloquized...

Luckily, I only have a few pairs of shoes, so its hard to lose one.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

I lose socks. Whole pairs.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger Kat soliloquized...

That is a fantasic idea, Have kids size shoe and you'll be rolling in it!lol My brother and I wanted to start a forever puppy bussniss. You bring in your very old mutt and we clone him...you always have a puppy! I know we are sick.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger May soliloquized...

Lost earrings!

I lost one for the first time ever, and I'm feeling so very sad.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

ha! i worked in a shoe store for many years and you would be surprised at how often people want to buy one half of the pair.

there is actually an organization that collects single shoes from people who, for whatever reason, only have one foot. the idea being that you donate the one shoe you don't need and you can then select from the pairs donated for the foot that does need a shoe. maybe you can work something out with them.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

oh! hey, here they are:

http://www.oddshoe.org/

i bet they are always happy to receive donations if you decided not to hang on to your singles.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Booklogged soliloquized...

But, Colleen, don't you know that the other person with the same size sandal as you have, will have lost the same part of the pair you did. So you'll be left with two lefts and no rights, or vice versa! I don't know that I've ever lost one of a pair of shoes, though it happens ALL THE TIME with socks.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger soubriquet soliloquized...

I usually wear odd socks, not as a fashion statement, but because i really don't give a damn.
size and thickness of sock need to be similar, but otherwise there's no problem. No need to sort them as they come out of the washer, no need to roll them together, just select your sockwear out of a mound of socks. Easy. Free range socks. Free the socks!
Odd shoes might be a bit more difficult, of course.

Friday, December 22, 2006 1:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?