Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #10

Thirteen Reasons I Loved
Trixie Belden
More Than I Loved
Nancy Drew

1. Jim Frayne
the hottest redhead around, and talk about angst in a hero!
If I were ever going to write a fanfic, it would be about Trixie and Jim finally hooking up.


2. Trixie was closer in age to me
she was 14, and Nancy was 18 in most of the books
It was easier relating to a girl my age, with my problems, as opposed to one who had access to a car and could come and go as she pleased


3. Trixie had two brothers to deal with
And neither of them were very nice sometimes. I remember Marty in particular, who was realistically obnoxious, as all brothers are. Trixie actually got in fights with her brothers.

4. Trixie had a mother--who actually said "no" sometimes
Nancy had a push-over father who let her do whatever she wanted. Whenever she wanted.


5. Nancy didn't have to work hard for anything
She could pack up and go whenever she wanted--to Turkey, to Kenya, skiing, to France, to the Moonstone Castle...Trixie had to beg and plead to go anywhere, and was always sent with stipulations and rules. Oh, and her brothers.

6. Nancy and the cops were best friends
Because Nancy's dad was Carson Drew, attorney at law, she had it easy with the cops. They not only believed her when she told them something, they sometimes asked her for help. Not so Trixie and gang. They were just young kids who sometimes got in the way. More realistic.

7. Trixie and Jim actually kissed
Nancy and Ned may
be held hands or he got a peck on the cheek, but there was no chemistry between them. At all. I gave up hoping after a few books.
As for Trixie and Jim...I still remember the scene in one of the books where she was standing in a field of burning maurijuana and so her clothes smelled like pot, and later Jim smelled it and was so angry and disappointed in her. That disappointment showed the depth of his feelings for her.
Mr. Nickerson was a plastic Ken doll next to Jim.

8. Trixie actually had real friends
Not paper cutouts propping her up. I mean, really, George and Bess: how bookendish can you get? George, the athletic tomboy with dark hair, and Bess the "pleasingly plump" fraidy-cat blond. Sheesh. Trixie's friends, Honey and Diana, actually had real problems and the three of them actually had arguments and fights. Especially when Diana started to date Brian.

9. Although Nancy did go to exotic places....
That was one thing I really liked about the Nancy Drew books. She visited some great places and I learned a lot about them. Trixie went spelunking and to a ranch, but even with Jim there, it couldn't compare to Turkey an
d Peru and Scotland and Hawaii...

10. Trixie wasn't perfect
Er...far from it. She had messy hair, normal clothes, and a temper and stubbornness that would try anyone's patience. Nancy...well, Nancy was perfect. I don't think she ever raised her voice, had a hair out of place (even when she was tied up and left in the stairwell in The Clue of the Tapping Heels), or argued with anyone.

11. Nancy never had to do household work or chores
But Trixie sure did. I remember reading more than once when she got into an argument with "Moms" about getting her chores done before she could go detecting.

12. But Nancy had much much better cover art.

13. But did I mention Jim Frayne???
I think he's the reason my first serious boyfriend was a redhead....

And ACK! to all you who haven't read Trixie! I did love Nancy--I gobbled up every one of her books, and now, as an adult, am collecting them...but Trixie was so much better. The first three aren't as good, because it's Jim getting through his angsty stuff...but one of the ones I remember being particularly good was the Bob White Cave one, the Cobbett's Island one, and the Mystery of the Emeralds.

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

41 Comments:

Blogger Hen Jen soliloquized...

a really interesting list idea. I've never read Trixie, I will have to give one to my daughter, she likes mysteries. Thanks for the comparison.

Jenny in Ca
happy TT! mine is up, come visit

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger Scribbit soliloquized...

I love this list--almost as much as I loved Trixie Belden. I loved her and Honey and her and Jim and her horses (and now that my daughter has read them she agonizes about how she'd love horses like Trixie's and how could Trixie ever complain about having to exercise the horses?)

I did love Nancy too, but in a more plastic, Barbie kind of way. Though I read every one of her mysteries.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Colleen, I loved this TT.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

And to think I missed all that!! How is it that I never read a Nancy Drew or a Trixie Belden mystery? I was a total bookworm as a kid and teenager, still am now. It's a real mystery...

I'll have to add one to my TBR stack...any recommendations?

Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger The Cosmic Kid soliloquized...

Great list! My birthday edition of TT is up!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I loved Trixie but as I've grown old it's the old Nancy Drew's I've been hunting down and collecting - not the Trixie Belden's.

My favourite series (well trilogy) was Pierce's Firebringer books.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:32:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown soliloquized...

This is a great post! Thanks for sharing

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I have to admit I only read Nancy and not Trixie. Sounds like I should of. I liked reading Nancy though.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I loved reading the Trixie Belden books, and definitely agree that Jim was a big part of that...I have been partial to redheads for a long time. Jim may have been sharing the limelight with a certain Jamie Fraser for a while now though!!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:34:00 AM  
Blogger The Mistress of the Dark soliloquized...

I read one Nancy Drew. I wasn't a mystery kinda gal until high school and buy then I was reading regular novels rather than young adult.

Happy TT!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:51:00 AM  
Blogger Jill Monroe soliloquized...

Hmmm, I may have to check out TB for the kids!

BTW, the word verification is pot, and I think that's funny as that's one of the things you mentioned!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I did read Nancy Drew, but never Trixie. Guess I missed out, huh? *g*

Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Never heard of Trixie either.. sounds like fun tho!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Like Jaci, I've never read Trixie Belden, and read too many Nancy Drews for my own good.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger Kat soliloquized...

You will be proud to know that my grandmother gave me 4 Trixie books for my 12th birthday. The funny thing is I have never read a Nancy Drew book.
(She also gave me the Bobbsey Twins at the seashore, and
Honey Bunch Her -First Little Mystery. I loved that she gave me old books, I think that's when my love for reading really started.)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I never heard of Trixie Belden, but she sounds more like me than Nancy Drew ;) One of my high school teachers often referred to my friend Pat & me as The Bobbsey Twins ;-)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Darla soliloquized...

Add me to the list of those who've read Nancy Drew but never read Trixie Belden. I'm not sure why--the books must not have been in my library, because I swear I read everything else there. Weird.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Nancy never really appealed to me, despite my mother's recommendation. I think she gave up on trying to entice me into reading mysteries and never mentioned Trixie. I was a strange girl. :)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Angela James soliloquized...

Oh Colleen, I'm like you, love love loved Trixie. I always wanted a friend named Honey ;)

Trixie did seem more...real, than Nancy Drew did. Nancy seemed to have it all together. Trixie had flaws and insecurities and sometimes things didn't go just right. It was so easy to connect to her.

That said, I also gobbled up Nancy Drew, but Trixie holds a special place in my heart.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Lara Adrian soliloquized...

Oh, wow -- a blast to the past! I only read a couple of Trixie books and Nancy Drews, but I liked Trixie best, too. My all-time favorite kid sleuth was Encyclopedia Brown. :)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

How is it that I've never ever heard of Trixie!?

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I don't think I ever read either. I was more of a Hardy Boy fan...

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Tug soliloquized...

Why have I never HEARD of Trixie??? wow.

Happy TT!!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Hear Hear! As you know Colleen, I'm right there with you! LOVED Jim Frayne and devoured them all always on the look out for scenes of these two together!

I only read a few nancy Drews and found them utterly boring compared to Trixie!

(And yes, I'm on the look out for old copies of TB to collect!)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

or is it Here! Here!?

(LOL!)

Btw, which was your favorite TB? I remember loving the one when the Bob Whites went to England, and I also liked the one when they went to Arizona ... (my love of travel obviously showed up back then too!)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I've never even heard of Trixie! I'm sure I would have loved her.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I've never heard of Trixie, but I'm jumping into this Thursday Thirteen thing to be cool like everybody else.

Happy thursday!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Oh sure. Choose Trixie if your into the whole "realistic" thing. But maybe some of us prefer to get away from reality and at least visit a place where you had parents that let you go anywhere or were so respected that even the police would take you at your word.

Or maybe some of us never read Nancy or Trixie and instead lost ourselves in comic books. Why solve a mystery when you can just whack the bad guys with your billy club or vaporize them with your heat vision! It's probably a guy thing.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger Kirsten soliloquized...

Great post :) I loved both Nancy and Trixie but I did like Jim Frayne much better than Ned Nickerson. Interestingly enough, my hubby is a redhead. Hmmmmm... ;)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:01:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Wow! I can't believe how many of you who read Nancy didn't read Trixie! I'm so surprised. Shocked, even!

The Nancy books are very collectible now, and I've started my own set--but I haven't started collecting the Trixies. I need to get into those too.

Scribbit, Marg, Angela, Zeek, Katkat...all you who loved Trixie like I did, I'm so glad you're here! I was feeling a bit lost with all the others who didn't know who she was. Gleeps!!!

And Zeek, to answer your question...I think my fave Trixie was Corbett Island, the one where they go to Maine or Vermont. But I really can't remember them. I need to reread so I can refresh my memory.

Which one was your favorite?

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Trixie!!

I LOVED Trixie Belden. The horses! Jim! Honey! Diana! Mark and Brian and Bobby! The bad boy Dan! Miss Trask and Regan! The Idaho Beldens and the Iowan Beldens! Ahhhh!

My favorites are, I think, the early ones. But they never lost that magic for me.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

What an intriguing idea for a list. I'll have to find something to compare such as this. Thanks for sharing.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Sigh. "Mark and Brian"? Mart.

Mark and Brian is a local radio program.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:38:00 PM  
Blogger Southern Girl soliloquized...

Trixie Belden ROCKED! Way better than Nancy Drew, even though I liked Nancy, too. I rue the day I let my mother get rid of my complete collection of Trixie Belden books. Maybe I need to be checking out eBay...

My TT is up, too!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Very true. I never really thought about how easy Nancy had it.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger BlondeBrony soliloquized...

Sounds very interesting.
Happy TT!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I'd never even heard of Trixie Belden. I must be uncivilized! I should remedy that.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:11:00 PM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried soliloquized...

I was so put off by Nancy Drew's perfection that I was always afraid to pick up Trixie. Maybe I ought to fix that -- and share Trixie with my kids, too.

Thanks! Great TT!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I forgot all about Trixie. You're right, Trixie was far more realistic.

Friday, November 17, 2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Sparky Duck soliloquized...

Can ya believe ive never read Nancy Drew?

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I grew up reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys but it's my first time to encounter Trixie Belden. Thanks for introducing her to me through TT. I will try and look for her books over here and see the comparison for myself.

Happy weekend!

Friday, November 17, 2006 8:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?