Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The worst movie I've seen in a long time.

So, I'm a Sarah Jessica Parker fan, for the most part (except for those pig-like squealy noises she makes when she's startled or excited), and I think Matthew McConaughey's nice to look at (I particularly liked him as eye candy in Sahara), thus I figured Failure to Launch would be a fun romantic comedy with a good-looking guy to admire.

Wrong.

I can't remember when I sat through a worse movie. The dialogue was horrible. The story line even worse.

I mean, giving CPR to a mockingbird? Being bit by a dolphin and then being dragged around in the ocean? An aging Terry Bradshaw naked??

And even Matthew Mc (who I'm still not sure isn't gay) came across as a kind of oily, insincere guy in all of his scenes with the girl. I mean, he takes his dates out on yachts that aren't his, and pretends they are. More than once.

There was no chemistry between SJP and MMc at all. There was no way I believed they were falling in love.

And the ending, with the "intervention" and all the video monitors...give me a break.

I was so disappointed. I didn't expect When Harry Met Sally... or 50 First Dates, or anything along those lines. But I certainly didn't expect it to be as bad as it was.

Were there any redeeming factors, you ask? Well, I thought Zooey Deschanel's part as SJP's quirky, blunt roommate was kind of cute (except for the mockingbird CPR), and since I loved him in National Treasure, I was pleased to see Justin Bartha playing Zooey's love interest and requisite computer geek. I thought Bradley Cooper looked as slimy as ever (he was best in Alias, in my opinion.)

So, no, not too many redeeming factors.

Did anyone like that movie? What's one of the worst movies you've seen recently?

8 Comments:

Blogger Jana DeLeon soliloquized...

ummmm........yuck.

Thanks for the review - won't be renting that one.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 9:25:00 AM  
Blogger Rene soliloquized...

I like SJP too. I thought she was great in "Sex in the City" and I've liked her in the movies, particularly "L.A. Story." This does look like a crappy movie.

I hadn't thought of Matthew being gay...but it makes sense. He dated Penelope Cruz as did Tom Cruise and, well, that could lead to a whole blogpost on its own.

I've seen so many dreadful movies lately. A significant portion of our income is spent on Directv and all of its gabillion channels so we watch a ton of movies. THere is one right at the top of my head which was so awful my mind is working to forget it. It will come to me soon.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 2:14:00 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic soliloquized...

All I can say is a hearty Amen! ... I was dragged to this by my usually smarter and better half and was just bored to tears!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

So 50 First Dates is a winner? For some reason, the premise of that never captured me, so I didn't see it. I'll have to reconsider!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:14:00 PM  
Blogger MJFredrick soliloquized...

I really liked this movie. Matthew M usually doesn't do it for me, but in this movie, he was incredibly charming. And shirtless. A lot.

His deep seated trouble was that his fiancee had died. I would have liked to have seen that played up more, especially his relationship to his fiancee's
son. And he and Paula never talked about it considering she was a psychologist, I thought that would have been important.

I loved Kit and the mockingbird. (The actress who played Kit is the sister to the actress who plays Bones.) I loved how she was sure she knew what she
wanted, but she was wrong.

I also loved that ALL the parents Trip's parents hung out with had adult children living at home. That was a hoot.

I loved how Trip played out the dinner with his family, asking Paula to move in with him there and confronting his parents. He was betrayed by them. and I loved the scene where she followed him to the car and he wouldn't talk to her.

I didn't like their conversation at the end (though I DID like the reality TV part.) I didn't think the conversation addressed all their issues.

I liked the motifs of the animals that attacked Trip whenever he went out, and the boats....which symbolized freedom, to me, which is what Trip thought he had by living with his parents.

I liked that Trip used his parents as his defense mechanism. It showed he wasn't strong enough to push people away on his own, that he was still
afraid to let women get close. At the same time, his mother used him as a defense mechanism against his father.

I liked that Trip thought his friends were like him because they lived at home, because it gave him an excuse, but it turned out they weren't like him
at all. Ace actually owned his house and darn it Will from Alias really did just use his parents' home as a stopping point between adventures.

I would have liked to know more about Paula. Kit said she was a fixer, that she decided to go into this line of work because once she'd fallen for a guy
who lived at home, but I would have liked that motivation to be stronger.

And I wondered why 2 women lived in that big ol' house.

I loved the paintball scene.

I liked how you knew her plans ahead of time the trauma, the meeting the friends, him teaching her something...it was very well thought out.

I loved this movie - it's a purchase for me.

Friday, July 21, 2006 1:25:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the long post. You reminded me of some of the things I did like about the movie--particularly the scene with the parents at the barbeque when they are all talking about their kids living at home. I loved that.

The theme of nature being out of whack in Tripp's life was an interesting one, but for me, it was just too campy the way they portrayed it.

I'm glad you liked it--just goes to show different strokes for different folks!

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:54:00 AM  
Blogger Diana Peterfreund soliloquized...

Ugh, I saw the preview trailer fo this movie and was so disgusted I know I'd never watch it.

I don't remember 50 first dates as being particularly good, though the end scene was lovely. I do remember that end scene.

I was actually having this conversation last night with a friend, that I've basically given up on rom coms because so many have such completely off the wall premises that I can never buy into any of it. This was cemented for me when I saw How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

Something New was pretty good, because I could actually buy into their conflict, but such things are few and far between.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger MJFredrick soliloquized...

I liked Something New, too, and hated the ending of How to Lose a Guy. I thought 50 first Dates was cute, but not memorable.

My favorite Rom Com is Two Weeks Notice.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?