Friday, July 14, 2006

Eagerly Anticipating...

Now that Pirates of the Caribbean II is out, and Cars, and The Devil Wears Prada, and Superman Returns, and a few other much-anticipated summer movies are out; and the new Janet Evanovich, and the new Nora Roberts hardcover (which I will be dashing out to get today), and the new Julia Quinn and Kim Harrison...

I'm feeling like summer's on its downhill cycle. We've peaked, and now we're on an easy slide to September.

But wait! There's more! Some of my most eagerly-awaited releases are still to come.

First, my dear, dear friend, Diana, who is as witty and sharp as they come, has her first book hitting the shelves on Tuesday--to much well-deserved fanfare. Secret Society Girl: An Ivy League Novel is about a young woman attending an Ivy League School who is invited to join one of those secret societies that were only for men...and included such members as John Kerry and George Bush (either one; take your pick).

I had the pleasure of reading it months ago and it's a fun, witty, smart read that I couldn't put it down...and I couldn't be more thrilled that it's finally going to be out there. (Plus, Diana's giving away prizes on her blog every day until Tuesday.)

Secondly, I've been waiting for years for the release of Alan Moore's and Melinda Gebbie's Lost Girls series. It's the beautifully illustrated and written erotic story of a grown-up Alice in Wonderland, Wendy (from Peter Pan), and Dorothy Gale (each of their stories). About ten years ago, the first two comics were released, and I purchased them as soon as they came out...but then none of the others were ever completed.

Moore changed publishers, got involved in other projects, and finally, now, Top Shelf Productions is releasing the entire collection in gorgeous leather bound volumes. I pre-ordered months ago, and expect to have them in my hands some time in August. After ten years, finally!

(Weirdly enough, when I first met Diana, she was writing a book called The Lost Girls, which I loved--all the way down to her heroine's name [Kix].)

Third...the final installment in Lisa Kleypas's Wallflower series. Can't wait to get my hands on that baby.

My jury's out on whether You, Me & Dupree is going to be worth a viewing at the theater or a wait-for-Netflix option...I really like Kate Hudson, and Owen Wilson is usually pretty good. So I'm debating.

What else are you waiting for, during the months of blockbuster releases?

8 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Byler Younts soliloquized...

The books you mentioned sound like winners...I'll have to check them out very soon.

I see that your book has been compared to the Buffy Series & P&P (which I'm in love with). I'm also a HUGE fan of Buffy and wish they never stopped the TV series...I look forward to the release of your ms!

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

How did I miss a Nora vampire trilogy??? Wow! Now I cannot wait until fall.

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:54:00 AM  
Blogger Tempest Knight soliloquized...

I've not seen Pirates 2, but hopefully this weekend I will. I don't care for any other movie. Okay, except for the Wayans Brothers's Little Man, and it's because it reminds me of an old classic Bugs Bunny cartoon, in which a thief who stole a bank tries to con Bugs to take him as baby but Bugsy finds him shaving so the con got conned. *lol*

As for books, there's a new one from Kim Harrison came out in June, but Borders here doesn't have it yet. Ugh! I love her witch series. And Shirley Damsgaard's Trouble with Witches: An Ophelia and Abby Mystery will be out in August.

Friday, July 14, 2006 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Whoa! Nora has a vampire trilogy coming out? I'm heading over to Amazon to see if I can pre-order that! In addition to Diana P.'s book, I'm also looking forward to the new Suz Brockman. Doesn't that come out soon?

Friday, July 14, 2006 6:55:00 PM  
Blogger Allison Winn Scotch soliloquized...

I was really looking forward to You, Me and Dupree, just based on the cast, but we saw the preview when we saw Prada...and it just looks...abysmal. And it got horrid reviews, so we'll be skipping it. I feel like there haven't been ANY good movies out this summer. Such a bummer. (Though Prada was a lot of fun.)

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger Karen soliloquized...

Hi Colleen,

I just bought the new Kim Harrison. Love her Hollows series.

What do you think? Rachel and Kist? Rachel and Trent? Or Rachel and Ivy? I'm a big Rachel/Kist (I love his name) fan, but wouldn't mind reading about a fling with Trent.

I'm looking forward to reading Diana's Secret Society Girl, not to mention the new Evanovich. But I've never read any Nora Roberts. I plan to start her In Death series (as JD Robb), but can you recommend a good Nora Roberts to start with? Maybe I'll start with her vampire trilogy - that sounds promising!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Kim Harrison is really wonderful; she writes such a genre-bending series. As for which one for Rachel...I say she ought to have fun with all of them!

After all, if a male character (James Bond, etc.) can have a different fling in each book...why shouldn't a woman be able to? (Don't get me started...in my first book, my heroine has three men to choose from. And why should she choose??)

Anyway, I love all of Nora's single title romantic suspenses--I just read Birthright, which is an older one, but I loved it.

And I really love Nora's In Death series...really amazing on so many levels.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 3:19:00 PM  
Blogger Karen soliloquized...

(...in my first book, my heroine has three men to choose from. And why should she choose??)

I actually prefer when heroines have several love interests. I think 3 is a good number, but I wouldn't be offended if she had more.

Thanks for the Nora Roberts help. I checked the vampire trilogy at Amazon. The first book is out August 29th and it's called Morrigan's Cross. I think that will be my first Nora Roberts title.

By the way, we're friends at MySpace. I'm in the This is Chick Lit anthology.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?