Monday, July 03, 2006

Head Games

Okay, '80s* music fans, don't tell me the title of this post doesn't bring back some rockin' memories! How about the earworm I had going through my head last week: "Blue Morning, Blue Day...can't you see things my way?"

I've had Foreigner on my mind lately; and funny enough, as we were sitting at dinner last night, my Music Man said, "Foreigner's playing at the State Fair next week. We ought to go see them."

I almost jumped out of my chair--it was so odd that he should have brought them up when that band had been in my mind so much lately.

So we're going to try and get tickets, just because...well, they make good music. Or they used to. I've never seen them in concert, and it would be fun. (This from a girl who was dragged kicking and screaming to see KC & the Sunshine Band and The Village People about eight years ago and had a total ball. And who is just now willing to admit it.)

I loved the album cover for Head Games...and I'm not embarrassed to admit that I didn't get the fact that the picture was in a "head" until just recently. Some of the titles of the songs are hidden on the cover (Dirty White Boy for one, Double Vision for another).

I heard about this episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force in which they find this magical "Foreigner belt"--which turns the lyrics of Foreigner songs into...well, reality. Like Cold as Ice turns one of them into a frozen statue, Dirty White Boy makes someone act like a redneck...etc. Double Vision is another obvious one, as is Hot Blooded...but I can only imagine what Urgent would do. Or Head Games.

Very interesting. I find it rather odd, being a teen of the '80s, which is now becoming the roots of today's pop culture and providing the background for wayyy too many commercials.

In fact, last fall, I was playing pool with a couple of younger guys (at least ten years younger than me) and a song came on the jukebox. It was a cover of an old Heart song (I think it was What About Love), and of course, I recognized it right away but not the artist.

The guys knew the artist, of course, because it was a new release...and we argued for ten minutes about who was the original artist--which of course I knew because I'd grown up with that music! It took a phone call to someone they knew before they believed me. And it happened a second time that night, too, with another '80s single (can't for the life of me remember which one--maybe Walking on Sunshine) that had also been remade. So I've been feeling odd about the fact that my music is so old that it's being remade...or that it's the background for new commercials.

But in a way, it's also cool...'cause it's a neat reminder of things past.

So...which Foreigner songs should I shout for at the State Fair? Which is your favorite?

And which '80s band would you like to see a reunion tour for this summer?




*Yeah, I know this album came out in '79...but close enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?