Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Autumn rain...makes me feel fine

I walked outside after a meeting this morning and it was gorgeous.

It had been raining, a nice, gentle but solid rain, all morning, but it had just stopped, so the air was damp and clean and crisp. The sky is light grey and cloudy and the leaves are absolutely brilliant.

I stood there and drew in a deep breath and just felt and basked.

Ever get those moments? Not just stopping to smell the roses, but stopping to enjoy something that isn't obviously perfect or beautiful?

Roses are easy--they smell amazing, they're masses of velvet petals all unfurled in a pleasing way. A sunny day is easy too--a warm brilliant blaze, or, in the winter, an eye-stunning blast of bright.

But rain? Walking to your car in the rain? Yep. Stop and smell the rain.

I think everything about nature is beautiful, even when it's ferocious (blizzards) or damaging (hurricanes, tsunamis) or frightening (arachnoids, snakes), inconvenient (rain without an umbrella anyone?) or gloomy (raining and cloudy).

Just had to share. I loved the weather today.

(The pics are from my backyard.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Megan Frampton soliloquized...

I love weather, too, all kinds. Today it's all gray and fall-like, and I love it.

I wish I had your backyard. I've got a sidewalk.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Dev soliloquized...

You have a beautiful year, Colleen! I love fall...for me, it is the absolute best time of the year.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 3:28:00 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Goodnight soliloquized...

Fall is my favorite time of year too--even though we only have about five days of it...

And no matter what time of year, I love the rain , as well as just before (that sweet smell), and after (all that glistening green).

Soak up a little extra fall for me...I'll live vicariously.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kat soliloquized...

My son and I stopped to "eat" the rain today. Does that count?

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 6:53:00 PM  
Blogger Dev soliloquized...

I really need to learn to preview. That should have been "yard" ~ not "year".

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

We love the calm of a blizzard. Everyone is inside and you go out for a walk or a drive. Roads are empty and there is a sense of adventure. I love that. Also, thunderstorms are also a favorite but you stay in for those.

http://maggie.coffeeshopmafia.com

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:48:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

Can I live in your backyard?

I miss the turning of the leaves up North. It just isn't the same down south.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 8:09:00 PM  
Blogger Tempest Knight soliloquized...

I love the rain and the thunderstorm. Right now it's raining, and although it's dark outside, I can smell the fresh wet earth. *wg*

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:29:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson soliloquized...

Beautiful! I try to have those stop and bask moments as often as I can.

Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?