Tuesday, September 05, 2006

At last!

You might think I was lazy, not blogging over the long weekend...but actually, I was laboring my butt off. We do Back to School cleaning in my house, and that's exactly what we did. I didn't even turn on my computer on Sunday or Monday until late in the day. And I didn't even get the withdrawal twitches in my wrist (you know, from wanting to move that mouse...).

Anyway, the kids are back in school. My youngest starts Kindergarten today! I'm going to have the house to myself for a nice chunk of time in the afternoons starting tomorrow. I can't wait to see how productive I am.

I love September, and back to school. It's always felt more like a new beginning to me than the New Year does in January. When I think about the year, in my mind, and how it's laid out in kind of curve, September is always the beginning of the road and the summer, kind of a winding down of the road.

Plus I love the season of autumn. The weather starts to get cooler, the leaves change, I can pull my sweaters out, I can start to think about making chili and soup and fresh bread. Hot tea. Hot cider. Comfort food.

So all feels right here. The house is sparkling clean, even those closets and the basement--even the storage area in the garage. Clean and organized.

So I'm ready to start the new year. I'm going to be more organized in my productivity. I'm going to start working out regularly (yoga and elliptical), and I'm going to work on my eating habits! They deteriorated over the summer (all that beer down by the lake, nachos at the Mexican restaurant outside, trips to the ice cream parlor, cookout food....).

And hopefully, I'll be starting to write a new book soon.

One blight over the weekend was the news of the death of Steve Irwin. I was saddened to hear of it, as many over the world are. My children as well. They loved the Crocodile Hunter (my son in particular is a croc fan, due to an amazingly-long fascination with Captain Hook and all things pirate).

He died doing something he loved, and, as I explained to my children, he knew the risks he was taking. He knew that animals aren't always predictable. And he did so much to educate people about some of his beloved creatures. We'll miss him, particularly in my house.

So. How was your weekend? Now that the kids are back to school for many of you, what are your "new year's" resolutions?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Nice to hear you had a productive weekend. Mine couldn't have been lazier!

Interesting that you feel the "year" starts in September. For me, it always used to start in May, the beginning of the tourist season, with the Spring being the calm before the storm.

I do love fall, though. Football and chili. Carving pumpkins and eating candy corn. Lots of mums!

And as for "new year" resolutions, I just started a new book last night where resolutions were mentioned and the character said that you should make at least one resolution that's fun and easy to keep, like wear more lipstick. :)

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Now that's a great idea, Annie. I'm going to do that (think of a fun resolution; I already wear lipstick every time I go out of the house).

Hmmm...how about eat more chocolate? (guess that flies in the face of my previous resolution of eating better, huh?)

Okay, how about this: try one new author I never thought I'd read, or that I didn't think would appeal to me, per month. That should be fun!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

My weekend, with the exception of that horrible news about Steve Irwin, was fun. I watched Spike Lee's documentary about the Levees in New Orleans, made some yummy dinners, had ice cream and dirty martinis (separately) with a friend, and took some photos of a couple whose wedding I'm shooting the end of this month.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Byler Younts soliloquized...

I had a great weekend with my family visiting from MI...I live in Co Springs.

The Croc Hunter story is very sad. I was so stunned to hear what happened.

HOpe you're able to get a lot done with your kids at school! :-)

Elizabeth

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:59:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson soliloquized...

I love to come over here simply because of the kindred spirit of the black background!!! ;)

I'm pretty trained in my outlook emotionally to look at Jan 1 as a new beginning. I feel Sept. to be a big month of change though as the months of Sept through Dec. are my favorites followed by the spring. I love the feeling that the hectic nature of summer is winding down to cooler temps, longer nights, more time outdoors followed by more time indoors under blankets once it really cools down. We love to keep our house of the cool side so that we can wear our warm, comfy clothes, use blankets, and cuddle up.

The food for this time of year is wonderful too. Hot soups, chili, warm breads, hot chocolate, stew...I love it all.

Very good post!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:18:00 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Goodnight soliloquized...

Haven't visited you before, but I LOVE the idea of your book, and it seems like we're totally on the same page as far as this time of year.

It's still hot as blazes here, and we don't get much of a fall, but come the first day of school, I feel like fall has officially arrived. I'm a big candy corn fan, love the chili and biscuits and all that warm and cozy food.

I guess I'll have to move one of these days...

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:01:00 PM  
Blogger Janice Lynn soliloquized...

Ohhh, Carl mentioned chili & I just bought the stuff tonight to make a pot. Yum.

Colleen, love your resolutions for the new year. :) & the fall photo is gorgeous.

So sad on Steve Irwin. I told my kids much the same as you.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

A friend posted this in his Livejournal this morning, and I almost lost it. It shows how much steve irwin really did love the animals he was working with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2hy7OAlMk

-Steph Anderson

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

As a mother, Steve Irwin's death breaks my heart. I feel so awful for his family.

Crikey!

He will be missed.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?