Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Retro Tuesday: '80s TV Movie Heart Throbs

When I was doing my poll about classic stories a few weeks ago, I got to thinking about The Scarlet Pimpernel, and the movie version I'd seen back in the Glory Days (the '80s), and so I put it near the top of my Netflix queue.

My Music Man and I watched it the other night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. While he was admiring the young Jane Seymour (who, of course, played Marguerite), I was getting an eyeful of Anthony Andrews.

Anyone remember him? He did a fabulous job as Sir Percy Blakeney, but his most famous role was that of Sebastian in Brideshead Revisited. He also went on to play Ivanhoe in the TV movie version of that classic.

Mr. Andrews is still tapped for TV movies. In 2000, he played Mr. Murdstone in David Copperfield (I believe it was a BBC or A&E version), and he was cast as Dr. Moriarty in a version of Sherlock Holmes in the 90s.

That got me to thinking of other TV-movie heartthrobs. They seem to be breed of their own, don't they? They don't usually get very far beyond their television movies, at least as far as acting goes.

There was Andrew Stevens, too, who at the time I liked better than Anthony Andrews. Stevens played Philip Kent in the TV versions of The Bastard and The Rebel.

Speaking of which, weren't those great books? I read them first in 8th grade, but reread them again when I was in high school and taking American History...and wow, did they all make so much sense at that point!

I reread them again in college, and I think I'm about due to read them again. I loved those family sagas (Belva Plain, John Jakes, the Wagons West series, and of course, my all-time favorite: Roberta Gellis's Roselynde Chronicles). I wish they'd come back. My favorite character in the whole Kent Family Chronicles was Gideon Kent in The Americans. I would have liked to see a movie of that one!

Anyway, as far as TV movie heartthrobs go, I can only think of one who made it beyond the small screen flick to the big screen. There may be others, but the one who comes to mind for me is Orry Main, from North & South--Patrick Swayze.

Any others you can think of? Who do you remember as one of those '80s TV movie stars?

(and, sink me! if there isn't a bit of a discussion going on over at Dance Chica's about The Scarlet Pimpernel book, which I haven't read, yet, but enjoyed lurking on the discussion anyway...)

11 Comments:

Blogger Jana Armstrong soliloquized...

You are a woman after my own heart!!

When I was in 9th grade, my mother said I could read John Jakes' NORTH AND SOUTH. And I did. Took it with us on summer vacation even. (Read the whole trilogy that summer.) But, when it came time for the mini-series to air, I could not--under no circumstances--watch it.

Needless to say, I now own the TimeLife video box set (as well as hardback copies of the trilogy, and most of THE BASTARD series).

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

I've got North & South on my Netflix. I think my daughter will enjoy watching it too!

I didn't realize until recently that Kirstie Alley was in that movie too! Maybe I'll move it up on my queue...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Tempest Knight soliloquized...

Gosh, I don't remember that version of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I better check it out...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I didn't realize until recently that Kirstie Alley was in that movie too!

Oh, that's right! She was the misunderstood/evil/slightly insane sister of George (the guy from the North).

My mother loved these books, and we sunk an amazing amount of time into watching and videotaping this series.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Janice Lynn soliloquized...

North & South was such an awesome movie. Loved Patrick Swayze. Thought the Madeline (I think that was her name--it's been a LONG time) was a bit too weak for Ory though. He deserved a stronger woman, IMHO, but maybe that's years of women's lib coming out in me. :) I was totally entranced by Kirstie Alley's role. & I even remember thinking Ory's sister (the dark haired one) had a lot of spunk for a "lady" of her time. ;)

Uhm, may have to try to fit this in to my schedule soon...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Stacia soliloquized...

You must read Pimpernel...it's a fantastic book, exciting and very romantic. A quick read, which was disappointing--I forced myself to read slowly to make it last.

I actually don't remember many of those TV movies from my childhood. The only actor I can think of is Richard Chamberlain, of whom I'm not a fan but for a while there it seemed like he was in everything.


Oh, but does it interest you at all that Hart to Hart is out on DVD now? Cuz when they met, it was moida!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

There was a good tv movie called The Woman He Loved from 1988 starring Jane Seymour as Wallis Simpson and Anthony Andrews as King Edward VIII :)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:54:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Zeek, it seemed to me that I remembered Andrew Stevens from something else too, but when I Googled him, I couldn't find anything else! So either we remember wrong, or he'd faded into anonymity--at least for his acting. I guess he's doing lots of producing now.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Colleen and Zeek,

Maybe it's the the Hollywood Wives (Jackie Collins) mini series that you also remember Andrew Stevens from :)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger Marianne Arkins soliloquized...

I love, Love, LOVE Anthony Andrews in that version of the Scarlet Pimpernel.

DH and I were talking last night about men who could play a character like James Bond -- we agreed that Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan were the most credible. You need someone who cleans up well, but who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty and get into a nice back alley brawl if need be, without worrying about breaking a nail.

Anthony Andrews was like that in The Scarlet Pimpernel.

RE: Andrew Stevens -- man, did I ever have a crush on him after The Bastard and The Rebels. I looked him up on IMdB and he DID NOT age well. Ugh. He produces now, and it's clear why he does.

The John Jakes books are why I passed American History -- nothing like taking dry, boring history and livening things up a bit!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane :-)

Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:37:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

We watched the Scarlet Pimpernel again last night--this time with the kids (since they're still a bit young, we had to explain a lot of what was happening--but my 10 yo daughter loved the romance.)

I loved it just as much the second time as I did the first. Anthony Andrews really did a superb job, and Jane Seymour too. They were fabulous together.

I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it!

Next, I'm putting North & South on my list.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 9:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?