Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Deadliest Creature?

I saw the news story that the fossil of a vicious prehistoric whale has been discovered. Apparently, the whale grew only to about eleven feet, but had teeth one and a half inches long. Sounds like he was a nasty little thing--little meaning relative to average whale-size.

When I was reading about that, I found a list of the Top 10 Deadliest Animals and started reading through it.

Number Ten surprised me: the poison-dart frog, which has enough venom to kill 10 humans. And I thought frogs were cute!

But rest of the list wasn't too surprising:

9. The Cape Buffalo, which charges its prey and predators head-on with over 1500 pounds. Yeah.

8. Polar Bear

7. Elephant

6. Australian Saltwater Crocodile

5. African Lion

4. Great White Shark

3. Australian Box Jellyfish (enough toxins to kill 60 humans)

2. Asian Cobra (50,000 deaths a year)

Until I got to number one.

The Number One Deadliest Creature is responsible for over 2 million deaths a year. A tiny, tiny thing.

Any guesses?

2 Comments:

Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Well, so much for my trivia question. LOL. You got it on the first try, Zeek. A mosquito.

Damned pesky things.

We put up a bat house this year, late in the summer, and hope that next year we'll have 30+ bats flying around eating those suckers!

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

My best friend's daughter has been ill, and from what I understand, the doctor says he thinks it's from being overbitten by mosquitos.

Assateague Island (directly south of me) boasts the mosquito as its "state bird", that's how many and how huge they are. Blasted buggers!

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?