Wednesday, August 09, 2006

One book...

I'm swiping this meme from Rosario (my new best friend, because she's the only person of my acquaintance who's also read the Vicky Bliss books and she's been quoting the best parts back to me...).

One book...that changed your life
The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker.
This is a book that every woman should read. It's written by a famous personal security expert--he's worked with everyone from Olivia Newton-John and Cher and other celebrities, to non-celebrities, rape victims, violence-in-the-workplace victims, etc.

This book is about how we have an innate ability to sense when things are "off," that we have this deep-seeded instinct for danger (women often call it intuition), and how, if we listen to it, it will can help us to protect ourselves from all sorts of dangers.

I wrote an article for the Wet Noodle Posse ezine about some of de Becker's information. Read this book.

One book...that you've read more than once
Well, you all know by now that Night Train to Memphis is the first one that comes to mind, although I've reread many others.

One book...that you'd want on a desert island
Uh...How to Survive on a Desert Island? No, wait...I've got it...The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook.

One book...that made you laugh
Anything by Jennifer Crusie, J D Robb, Elizabeth Peters or Susan Elizabeth Phillips...but since I have to pick one book...I'll say It Had to Be You by SEP.

One book...that made you cry
It's a kids' book called The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell. It's a Christmas story about a little boy of age 5 who becomes an angel, and who just doesn't fit in up in heaven; so one of the angels kindly goes back to earth to get the treasure box the little boy had hidden under his bed...and what's in that box, and how happy he is, and what happens...well, I bawl everytime I read this book to my kids; it gets so that my husband sits there and chuckles at me because I can never get through the story.

The kids are always asking me why I'm crying. I can't explain to them why it moves me on so many levels.

One book...that you wish had been written
The books that I wish had been written, I've written, or intend to write. :-)

One book...that you wish had never been written
Um...Harry Potter, so I could have written it? (just kidding)
I can't think of any books that I wish hadn't been written!

One book...that you are currently reading
The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory

One book...that you've been meaning to read
Why Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold S. Kushner


So? What about you?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jana DeLeon soliloquized...

Note to self: Must get Gift of Fear before Colleen kills me. :) Thanks for reminding me of this book!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger MJFredrick soliloquized...

I never can get through The Littlest Angel, either.

Or Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. My class always wants me to read it to see me cry.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

Most of these are really hard to answer, though, I think I may try to tackle them when I get home from work tonight. I do have quick answers for two of the questions:

Book that made me laugh: Jenny Crusie is a great answer. I'd also add Douglas Adams, and Katie MacAlister to that list. I love Katie's Aisling Grey series and there's a scene in The Corset Diaries that had me wiping tears away because I was laughing so hard.

Book that makes me cry: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. It's the story of a tree that loves a boy. If I try to read it out loud, I can barely get the words past the lump in my throat. It also reminds me of my Great-Great Aunt Olive, a truly wonderful woman.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Rosario soliloquized...

I'll be reading Silhouette in Scarlet next, and I'll try to remember to right down some good parts to keep quoting them at you!

And The Gift of Fear sounds very good and necessary to read. I'll definitely be looking for it!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Caryle: I love The Giving Tree too! I'd forgotten about that one. I need to read that to my kids too.

Rosario: Oooh, goody! Please do.

I laughed out loud today (as I always do) when I read the part in Trojan Gold: "Caesar was glad to see Schmidt. Schmidt wasn't as glad to see him. After I helped Schmidt up off the floor..."

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 7:39:00 PM  
Blogger Laura soliloquized...

I just wanted to let you know that I linked to your review in my own. Check it out: http://reviewingwhatever.blogspot.com/2006/08/gift-of-fear.html

Thursday, August 24, 2006 12:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?