Thursday, August 03, 2006

Who's the techie in your house?

A recent survey by Oxygen Network found that three out of four women would take a plasma TV over a diamond solitaire necklace...and about the same number would take a high-tech cellphone over a pair of designer shoes.

Hmm. Can't say I'd blame them.

In the same survey, 59% of women agreed that "women are more tech savvy than they give themselves credit for" (only 38% of men agreed with that statement about themselves).

But only 35% of women say "my family and friends rely on me for help with technology" while 54% of men say the same.

I can relate to the minority there, 'cause in my house, I'm the techie. Despite the fact that my Music Man has a degree in Computer Science from a prestigious university, he hasn't touched a computer in more than fifteen years. (Well, maybe once or twice when I was away from home and had to walk him through the process of emailing me a document or something like that. But that's it, unless it has to do with sound systems. Then he's got it all.)

I've done everything from set up my own wireless network, rebuild a computer, set up a wireless music sound bridge between the computer and the stereo system, and keep us up to date on all the tech stuff.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I know enough to be dangerous, and I also have a network of a few good friends I can call if I get stumped (Tim, Brian--you out there?). My brother used to give me a hard time when I'd call him with computer questions (he's a major geek, works for Oracle), citing "User Error"--until he realized that when I called him with questions, they were things even he wasn't sure how to fix. So now he doesn't rag on me about it.

So, what about you? Plasma TV or diamond necklace? Cool new phone or designer shoes? Are you the techie--and if you're a woman, do you find that guys don't take you seriously when it comes to your knowledge of technology?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jaye Wells soliloquized...

I'm no slouch in the technology area, but it's hard to compete with a husband who's the head of the IT department of a major web company. When he talks about work my eyes glaze over and my brain swells.

I guess I'd take the plasma too. And I really, really want a cool new cell phone with all the bells and whistles.

But I certainly wouldn't turn down shoes or diamonds either.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Dana Pollard soliloquized...

I'd take the diamond and the new jeans. I'm not a techno gal. hehe

Thursday, August 03, 2006 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Jana DeLeon soliloquized...

Definitely the plasma tv. But no on the phone. I make calls and receive calls and that's it. I don't want to know anything else. Give me a great pair of shoes any day.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Hmmm...maybe Oxygen Network surveyed the wrong group of women!

Me, I don't watch much TV, but when I do, I want to be able to enjoy it.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 4:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?