Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Best Cosmo Ever...and Chicken Noodle Soup a la Carte?

The Music Man and I went to dinner last night with another couple. We ate at the most hopping place in my MM's hometown, pretty much halfway between where we and the other couple live.

It used to be a deli, along the lines of the famous Zingerman's in Ann Arbor--fancy sandwiches large enough to feed two or three, great cheeses and baked goods, and other high-end deli food. About two or three years ago, this deli added on another side and opened a sit-down restaurant that offers a lot more than high-end deli. It's fabulous!

I ordered a Cosmopolitan and when it came, it was not only the most beautiful drink I'd ever seen, but it was the best martini I'd ever had. The color was a perfect pink lemonade hue, and it was garnished with a single slice of lime. (I'm a sucker for pink and green.) Anyway, the cosmo was made with fresh-squeezed juice--you could see the little bits of pulp floating in it. Luscious!

But then there was the chicken noodle soup. You could get a bowl of chicken broth for $4. But if you wanted noodles, you had to add another $1.00. If you wanted veggies, another $1.75. If you wanted chicken in your chicken broth, it was an extra $2.50. So if you really wanted to get crazy and go for the works, you were looking at $9.25 for a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

That was more than the cost of my $8.50 martini!

Go figure.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dev soliloquized...

$9.25 for a bowl of soup? That just seems crazy. The martini sounds absolutely delicious though!

Saturday, September 23, 2006 7:43:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

WTF?

Sunday, September 24, 2006 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

WTF?

Sunday, September 24, 2006 2:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

HA! Craziness.

I'm sorry to say, I had the perfect bowl of chicken noodle soup (or their version of it) in Cambodia for breakfast one moring.

And it cost me way less than $9.25!

MMMmm, the Cosmo does sound fabo!

Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:03:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson soliloquized...

I don't know...that soup looks pretty fabulous and sounds very good about now...I might be willing to pay that much for it!

Sunday, September 24, 2006 7:06:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

Did you get to keep the bowl?

I do it for that bowl. ;)

Sunday, September 24, 2006 9:28:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Harper soliloquized...

That would be I'd not I...

but the soup does sound delicious...

and I realize that probably isn't a pic of the actual bowl of soup for that matter, but it sure is pretty.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger Zeus soliloquized...

I have never heard of charging per item for a bowl of soup. I hope that soup was really a meal in disguise with some broth thrown in to call it a soup overall.

Monday, September 25, 2006 8:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

That's kind of interesting. I often just want chicken noodle with noodles, broth, and chicken (no veg). But I've never heard of listing it that way. Odd.

Monday, September 25, 2006 9:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous soliloquized...

I'll stick to my 2.75 bottle of beer and .30 wings :D

Monday, September 25, 2006 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

I like the way you think, Annie.

As for the picture...well, the soup didn't look anything like the one I posted here. The broth was actually dark brown--very rich looking--but it looked like beef broth, not chicken broth.

And my friend's wife, who ordered the broth only (no fancy additions), said it was lukewarm when she got it.

Go figure.

Monday, September 25, 2006 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Nonblond soliloquized...

I LOVE a good cosmo!

Monday, September 25, 2006 11:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?