Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Broadway Bound

I'm heading for a quickie trip to NYC in June, and plan to catch a Broadway show, but I'm torn. Which one?

I just learned that Disney's Tarzan opened on May 8th, and I love the original animated movie. It has a soundtrack by Phil Collins (whom I've always loved, wayyy back to Genesis|Three Sides Live days). This is my first choice, but tickets are hard to come by.

I've been wanting to see Spamalot since it first opened last year. I'm a major David Hyde Pierce and Tim Curry fan, and even though I know Tim's not in it anymore, and DHP may not be either, I'd still like to see the Monty Python musical. Alas, my co-traveler has already seen it, and I hesitate to subject her to it again when there are many other shows to see.

And then there's Wicked, which I've been dying to see. I've read the book, and I must admit, it wasn't one of my favorites.

I think the idea is brilliant, and Gregory MacGuire did a marvelous job with layering in all kinds of social and civic lessons (makes me think of a contemporary Animal Farm)...but it's not a book I'd probably read again. However, I understand that the musical is quite different from the novel--and that makes sense, as the musical could never do justice to the depths of the book.

There's also Lestat, which, I'm thinking, could possibly be construed as "research" since I do write vampire novels...and I've never read one of Anne Rice's vampire novels. But I haven't heard good things about it.

And finally, there's my old favorite, Phantom of the Opera, which I've seen numerous times, and know every word and every note on the entire two-disc original London soundtrack. There's nothing like seeing it in real life, even though I can watch Gerard Butler and the movie any time I want.

So...what a quandary. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

Or, more importantly, anyone have connections who can get me tickets to Tarzan???

Update: Tarzan won out! We got pretty decent seats for the show we wanted, so we're going!

3 Comments:

Blogger Diana Peterfreund soliloquized...

OMG... SOOOOOOOOOOO excited.

Now, onto the important stuff: wardrobe.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:18:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

You mean I have to go shopping? Ann Taylor, J. Jill...here I come!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Marley Gibson soliloquized...

Oh child! Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicals are THE BEST...ever. Can't say enough good things about them. You must read (at least) INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE, THE VAMPIRE LESTAT, QUEEN OF THE DAMNED and TALE OF THE BODY THIEF.

You guys are gonna have a blast in NYC!!

= )

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?