Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Nostalgic Reads

I was a bookworm when I was younger (not that that has changed much); when my mom would take me to the library, I would bring home a stack of 14 books and I would have them read within a few days.

Of course, I read Trixie and Nancy and Laura Ingalls, but there's a whole slew of other books that I've read and loved, and haven't forgotten. I want my children to read them, but many of them aren't available any more.

Enter eBay. I've been able to find a lot (not all) of my favorites for sale on eBay; some of them are even considered collectors items because they're out of print.

I wonder, did anyone else love these books as much as I did?
  • Gorilla Adventure, Safari Adventure, Amazon Adventure, etc.; by Willard Price--a series about two brothers whose father is a zoologist. They were mysteries set in exotic locales with tons of information about animals. Now I can only find old library copies. If anyone sees a hardcover copy of Cannibal Adventure, let me know!
  • The Mad Scientist's Club by Bertrand R. Brinkley. A company called Purple House Press has rereleased the two original books in the series, and then the prequel, which was never published. I was delighted to find them in hardcover, with the original illustrations.
  • The Three Investigators Mystery Series, also known as Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. There were two authors of the books in this series and I devoured every one of them (the books, not the authors). I have been able to acquire all of the first 22 books except for #21, The Secret of the Haunted Mirror, in the original Random House hardcovers. Seth Smolinske has a great Web site about T3I, and he reported some time ago that there is talk about making a movie with the three boys. I would love to see that!
  • What the Witch Left, by Ruth Chew, and other similar titles. I remember Seven League Boots and other such magical items...and this was long before Harry Potter! I haven't had a lot of luck finding those books.
  • Enid Blyton's Adventure Series about four children (Phillip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann, Jack and Bill Smugs). The Valley of Adventure, The Mountain Adventure, Circus Adventure, and others. I remember very little about these books other than Kiki the parrot!

  • Alvin Fernald, Boy Detective, Mayor for a Day, etc., by Clifford B. Hicks
  • Step to the Music, by Phyllis A. Whitney
  • The Wind Blows Free (I can't remember the author's name)
  • Betsy, Tacy and Tib by Lovelace
  • Books by Rosamund du Jardin--these were books my mother read in the '50s and got me hooked on. Wedding in the Family was one, and there were others about prom night and so on
  • How about the Sue Barton nurse mysteries? My mother is a nurse, and she also read those, and got me hooked (on Cherry Ames, too, of course), but I liked the Sue Barton stories because she had red hair!
I'm slowly building my collections back up...I don't know if my children will ever read them (I can't even get my 8.5 year old daughter to read The Little House books yet....), but I want to have them for me.

Does anyone remember any of these? Or is there a reason they are out of print?? :-)

I'd love to know what other books people read in their childhood...maybe that will jog my memory too. I was the kind of kid who walked into the library and had to have the librarian find me something I hadn't read...'cause I'd read everything already!

And if anyone does find a copy of Cannibal Adventure, let me know!

5 Comments:

Blogger Trish Milburn soliloquized...

Colleen, I have to admit I've not read any of these. :) I loved books like the Little House series, The Swiss Family Robinson, etc. There is a book from my youth (can't remember if I was a kid or early teen) that I remember liking, but I can't remember the title or author. All I remember is a girl goes back in time to Colonial Williamsburg.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jill Monroe soliloquized...

Colleen, I'm not sure if it's out of print, but my all time fave was the Witch of Blackbird Pond. WONDERFUL.

Trish, like you, I was really attracted to Colonial times!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gleason soliloquized...

Trish, I don't know the book about going back in time to Colonial America, but I would probably have loved it.

I do remember The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Jill, and in fact, was delighted when my daughter picked it out at Borders a few weeks ago!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:48:00 PM  
Blogger MJFredrick soliloquized...

Oh, I loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I don't have all the Little House books anymore. I read my Trixie Belden books till they literally fell apart, and they're too expensive to replace. And most of the books I loved reading when I was a kid were horse books - CW Anderson, who wrote the Blaze pony books, another book called Dark Sunshine about a girl who was handicapped (I think she was blind) but she tamed a wild horse. It was an old book then, because she sang in the Glee Club.

There are two I loved and I don't remember the titles. One was about two best friends who were writing a romance novel, and the story they were writing were a story within the story. All I remember was that they wrote about the Rhein River flowing in the wrong direction. The other was about these children who moved into an old house, haunted by two children who died in a fire. The ghost children rescued the children when there was another fire. Anyone remember THOSE books? I remember I got them from the Scholastic book club.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 8:13:00 PM  
Blogger kate soliloquized...

hey sis, i think *i* still have a copy of "what the witch left."
if i do, i'll loan it to you ;)

Monday, July 11, 2005 7:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?